[TECH]4K tranny 1/83 GTI

Anyoine know what t was that was wrong with the early year GTI trannies (US
bound). I have the potential to buy one from a january 1983 production made
GTI rabbit...
Or even how about this... are they or are they not the same gears (outside
of the final) in the 9A or standard close ration trannies in our sciroccos?
Could I just take the Final Drive out, and put it in my current tranny in my
rocco (87 16v)?
Just curious 'cause from what I was told the tranny normally didn't have
problems with the final, but it was else where in the gearbox...
TIA everyone!
chris
(Adam (fox-in-a-box) I'm almost done with that Tech, and no cutting wires
required!!!!)