Re: [TECH]4K tranny 1/83 GTI

chris jevens wrote:

> Anyoine know what t was that was wrong with the early year GTI trannies (US
> bound). I have the potential to buy one from a january 1983 production made
> GTI rabbit...<snip>
> chris

Chris, Isn't this the infamous 'Self Machining Syndrome' trans? The
missing circlip on the end of the gears will allow it to eat a hole in
the case over time- there is a retrofit to augment or replace the funky
rivets that proved insufficient to the task.

You know who might know what the f^ck he's talking about (as opposed to
me) is Shawn Meze. Lets see if we can pinch his ear.

hth,
TBerk