Help needed on 16V Scirocco

Good morning folks. I really need the wisdom of this fine list to help
me find out whats happening with my Scirocco!
1987, 16v, approx 150K miles.

Bottom line: Yesterday it was running poorly...little power, couldnt rev
much at all and was losing power at around 5000rpm. I doubt I could have
redlined it at all.  Today, I start it, and it started fine, but just
wasnt going to get about 1000 rpm until it was warmed up.

More symptoms: The past few days it has gotten progressively worse... I
put it in 1st gear, let out the clutch, hit the gas and count to 10
before anything happens. The rpm's climb slowly then eventually its OK.
Today is the first day I couldnt just get in and drive, I had to warm it
up.

Any suggestions appreciated!
Bob