Re: Castle Combe Track day & Small fire and brake problems! HELP!

If you set the self-adjuster wedge so that it was fully down before
installing the drum then you'd get exactly the symptoms you described. You
should always set it fully up, install the drum, then set the adjustment
once the wheel bearing & nut are installed. If you're not sure, you can
check without removing the wheel:
tools required: wheel brace & jack
something not too brittle with a pointed end, about 6-8 inches or more, not
including handle. A longish philips screwdriver if it has a reasonably sharp
tip, (pozidriv maybe?), and not the shallower ( i.e. generally more useful
on VWs) tip. Snap-on do a tool whose original purpose I can't remember, but
it's ideal for doing drum adjustment - it's like an oversized bradawl with a
blunt tip.
Procedure:
remove one wheel bolt & jack till wheel is off the ground
using a torch to look thru bolt hole turn the wheel until you see the bottom
of the wedge with spring attached - it's on the left-hand side I think. You
can then use the pointed implement, levering against the bolt hole, to pop
the wedge up by hooking into the hole that the spring locates into. You then
want to lever it back down until there is some resistance to turning by hand
- it should slacken off with driving. If the wheel is off, there should be a
fair amount of resistance.
Ideally you then want to do the same with the other side to balance the
brakes.

Another tip is, if there is a lip on the drum then angle grinding it flat
makes it easier to install over shoes. Of course, if there's a really big
lip, it's possibly at its wear limit - if the wheel still spins freely at
the limit of the wedge adjustment then it's time to change the drum.

HTH,

Ewan.