Re: [Motor] I did something stupid - Water in the oil

Cheapass Ron Pieper wrote:

> I haven't met you yet, TBerk.  I was supposed to have
> a beer for you at Cincy but you spent a night in jail
> instead and hightailed it back home.  Now you fill yer
> crankcase with water.  Should I look forward to our
> meeting with trepidation?  Methinks so.
>
> Mr. Meze said it best...I won't repeat it here.
>
> Sigh.  My confidence wavers.

Ouch! Times Two!

Well, as it turns out the Roc's gasket on said oil filler cap was
cracked so I pinched the GTI's for the trip. I had run the motor awhile
(5 mins) before I discovered the missing cap so what has been done is
done. Tomorrow I will drain the oil and refill with the new stuff I got
today.

As for the trip I was troubled by the Mocha Frapachino I found in the
coolant, never had any trouble before. I let the over flow from the hot
coolant blow the foam off the top (I never order whipped cream on my
Mochas anyway). I thought I might have a nasty head gasket but I had an
emergency fund to dip into- worse case might have been a quick head skim
or transplant from a scrap yard Rabbit to make it- I knew if I could get
there I'd be OK. BUT- Johnny Law dun did me wrong so my bravado went out
the window with the second blow.

After I turned around I spent the night in Reno (Americana Hotel-
Washer/Dryer upstairs and a room with a view of my car, "Got ID? We
don't rent to locals...") and after nothing nasty happened I hit the
road over the mountains again. No over heating, drove to Berkeley; where
cute young Co-Eds and Slackers Fine walked the streets, much to my
heart's content.

Since then I get a slight oil slick but no great foamy incidents. I
think there is moisture under the head gasket though so the tin worm is
at work. Pulling, reworking, transplanting in 10:1 GTI lump in the mean
time. (More Power!)

Trust me. I can fix your car, no problem.

TBerk