RE: mk1 hard starts

MKI eh? I have a MKII (85 8v) and I too have the same problem, its worse
when its humid outside (after a rainfall for example)

starts revs to 1500 then drops  and stalls... 3-5 times then revs up
normally.
I have emptied and cleaned gas tank, idle control valve cleaned, plugs,
rotor, and distributor cap, still same thing, I noticed when I open up the
idle screw on the throttle body the car will start normally, but runs at
1200rpm, and 1500 rpm idle when warm if I do that.

Also car will start just fine once its warm, but I get no staggering
symptoms, and it runs fine (though the plugs indicated a rich burning color)

I have had 2 people tell me , change my gas filter (just got one) and if it
is the same situation, that it could be the fuel line "plunger" (one
attached to the air idle valve system (bowl) that would be "cruddy" and I
was told not to try to take it apart but to get another one.

will change gas filter and from what I see in Bentley, it might be Pita to
mess with the injection "plunger" thing on the air bowl.

Patrick Bureau
1985 8v Titian Red Scirocco
http://longcoeur.com/scirocco
SCA-Name Lord Patric de Long Coeur