Re: ERG to manifold connection... AAAAH!!!!

At 8:56 AM -0700 6/9/01, DAN wrote:
>Ok I'm confused. As you may recall I need a "test
>tube" and the pipe that runs from the manifold to the
>EGR valve for my MK1.  In the junkyard today I found a
>BUNCH of dual downpipe/4to2 manifolds.  None of which
>had EGR valves.

Only found on early 1.6 s here in N.A.

>  Since the 5 Bently manuals I have are
>of NO use to me as far as showing me a picture of what
>I need, WILL I be able to use one of these
>manifolds/downpipes to connect an EGR tube to?

Well, yes, maybe. See below.

>  OR,
>should I just scrap this idea alltogether and figure
>out a way to tap the plugged O2 holes on my existing
>header for both a home-made EGR breather and the test
>tube??
Dan May - Greensboro NC

Well, What I have found is:

- The manifold I am looking at came from a California 1978 Champaign
Edition Mk1 Scirocco, 1.6 liter.
- It (the manifold) has both O2 sensor & ERG holes, with the O2 hole plugged.
- The O2 comes out pointing out the back, the ERG points towards the
pass (Right) side.
- Both holes look to be the same size, maybe same thread pitch.
- The ERG valve plugs in via a metal tube, with a 19mm nut on the end.

I took pix but they are the conventional kind; silver nitrate, not
digital, so it will take a day or two to get them developed.

Anyway, i can send you the dupes if it will help, or scan them next
week when I get back to work- that sounds easier.

hth,
TBerk

PS- Cali is complaining about getting Al's car smogged and so I need
this manifold to swap onto his (now running a 81 1.7.) Prob have a
8:1 1.8 before we are done. [Why? Because I have them free, That's
why]