From: owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org
[mailto:owner-scirocco-l@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Randy B
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2001 5:08 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Help, wiper won't shut of normally.

I replaced the ignition switch in Cosmos today. Ignition switch now works
and starts the car. :)
After putting everything back together and checking that all worked, I
noticed that my front wiper now stops immediately on the windshield when the
stock is moved to the off position. (This is not a modified single wiper, it
is the stock 81 wiper setup)
Being that it is supposed to continue to the base of the windshield when
turned off and now it stops at whatever point it is in when turned off I now
have a problem I didn't have before. :(

BTW this happens in all three modes (slow, fast, intermittent)

I swapped the stalk with known good spare...does the same thing.
I swapped the intermittent wiper relay with a know good spare...does the
same thing.
WTH...is this a wiring thing, the wiper motor?
Can't find anything in Bentley to help me out on this.

What tells the wiper motor to continue moving the wiper arm to the base of
the windshield when the stalk is moved to the off position.
Did one of my wiper Elves go on strike...is he asleep...how do I wake him?

Anyone ever have this happen and figure out why?

This was supposed to be a quick easy fix and back on the road..........

Thanks for all help,

Randy
81 Scirocco S (Mars) - tt 1847cc 8V
81 Scirocco S (Cosmos) - Stock