Re: Help, wiper won't shut of normally.

--- Randy B <sirocco@telocity.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> noticed that my front wiper now stops immediately on
> the windshield when the
> stock is moved to the off position.

<snip> I swapped the stalk with known good
spare...does the
> same thing.
> I swapped the intermittent wiper relay with a know
> good spare...does the
> same thing.
>
> What tells the wiper motor to continue moving the
> wiper arm to the base of
> the windshield when the stalk is moved to the off
> position.
> Did one of my wiper Elves go on strike...is he
> asleep...how do I wake him?

Randy:

Stalk or relay are unlikely to do this.

I have not been into a VW wiper motor assy. yet, but
the ones I have been in (Pontiac, Chrys. minivan,
Triumph TR4?) have a copper disk that rotates with the
shaft that drives the transmission arms.  This disk
has a slot in it that corresponds to the park
position, and a brush (finger, actually) that rides on
it.  This setup supplies current until the brush
touches the slot, which shuts the motor off provided
the switch is off.

So, after years, when copper and dirt get smeared
across the slot, you sometimes have conductivity where
you don't want it, and oftentimes resulting in the
situation you describe.  Generally, a good
disassembly, cleaning, and relube (with dielectric
grease, not lithium) takes care of it.

Now, why this correlates to the ignition switch is
beyond me...but (without checking) I don't think
there's anything there that *should* affect it.

=====
Ron (Cheapass)
'87 16V, ("Victor"), '93 Cabby ("Teufelhasen")
ICQ 108845455

"One....two....one...two...three..."
-Lynyrd Skynyrd