Re: in-depth radiator theory (attn cheapass ron, brian mcgarvey,list, radiator gurus)

At 3:51 AM -0400 6/9/01, Allyn wrote:

>minutes like that, water temp stays high, refuses to lower. oil temp
>bumps down a tad (98-99).
>i think im gonna do another flush session tomorrow. im so tempted to
>use some "CLR" in it, but that
>warning about etching metals and 'do not use on aluminum' are
>worrying me. perhaps it just dulls the
>finish of aluminum, hrm, i wonder.
>al

Do your test in the heat of the day - if you're still getting oil
temps around 100 Celsius, I would say that is great!

100C = 212F = boiling point of water.

If you're getting your oil temp up to that point or a little higher,
then any water that may contaminate your oil is going to boil off and
be gone.  (and now the logic gets shaky) If you're not driving the
temp up to that point, then any condensation or other water that may
get in isn't going to go away, and could lead to internal corroision,
from what I understand.

| Jim Jarrett,Rochester NY      '93 Passat GLX, '84 Scirocco    |
| mailto:jarrett@rpa.net         '81 Rabbit Convertible 16v     |