RE: Rear Swaybar Differences...WAS: front swaybars vs SHINE

An ideal swaybar should only affect the roll-center of the car, and not the
spring rate. In other words, the swaybar should only affect the suspension when
the rear wheels are not at equal height to the body. Thus, when you encounter an
"even" bump, that causes both rear springs to compress at the same time, the
swaybar should not bind, or exert any force on the suspension.

How do you know if a swaybar binds? Simple. Are the end-links of the swaybar
mounted rigidly to the suspension? If the answer is yes, IT BINDS. This is bad
because it means that changing to a different swaybar (or removing it) will
actually change your spring rate, making precise tuning difficult. On the
street, it probably isn't a huge deal, but if you're trying to tune a coilover
setup for the track, it can be frustrating. My Autotech bar attempts to solve
this by mounting the ends of the swaybar in a sliding poly bushing, and AFAIK,
it seems to work well. I'm not sure how Neuspeed does it.

The Shine bar takes a rather eloquent approach to this by not even dealing with
the issue. The A1 rear suspension is really nothing more than a giant swaybar
with the wheels attached to the ends of it. So, why not just stiffen the
existing swaybar instead of making "another" swaybar? Seems like a good idea to
me. It theoretically should save a little weight, be far more simple/reliable,
and still work just as well if not better. It can not possibly bind or otherwise
interfere with your spring rates. Unless I get a real good deal on something
else, that's what I intend to use on the mk1.

Neal