Re: front swaybars vs SHINE (you know Meze has gotta talk some shit here.....NOVEL)

Shine bases *everything* off of road racing
experience.  That explains alot of their viewpoint.
When they set up a car specifically for auto-x, they
control the front end with wickedly high front spring
rates.  No way is that comfortable for the street.  So
they compensate somewhat for the lack of front bar
with spring rates.

For a street driver the big front bar feels nice, but
the stock front bar will allow more power to be
planted on a car with the stock open diff...

I've found the ultimate answer... Audi Quattro!  :-)

Although I am regetting the sale of my old A2 G60
GTI...

-josh

--- Shawn C Meze <skerocdriver@juno.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:06:47 -0700 (PDT) josh Wyte
> <josh_wyte@yahoo.com>
> writes:
> >Don't condemn it unless you've tried it.
> >
> >I've done it all.  No front bar, stock front bar
> and
> >larger front bar.  All with the largest rear bar I
> >could find, which is the Shine rear bar.
>

> Hey Josh! havent heard anything out of you since FW
> 98! Glad your still
> around.
> Curious, was this on your A2 chassis car?
>

> >First some notes on the Shine rear swaybar.  It
> fit's
> >inside the twist beam axle.  There are no brackets
>

> Its a cool bar. It only really stiffens the I-beam
> portion of the rear
> axle. Any flex that comes will be from the trailing
> arms. Still, its a
> good bar, good system.
> I think the thread was more on the theory of the
> NFB.
>

> >Now onto the front bar controversy...
> >It really depends on what you do.  The entire point
> >Shine is trying to make is that the car understeers
> >(pushes) as it sits stock.  If you increase *both*
> the
> >front and rear swaybar sizes the car will still
> push.
> >Why do you want to do this for performance driving?
>
> >The answer?  You don't!
>

> Well, not true. The problem with Shrine is they're
> so sold and close
> minded on their product they refuse other theories
> whether they be from
> new technology or old school dynamics. I have a hard
> time respecting
> someone who cant respect other peoples findings. if
> your associated with
> Shrine, beware, I will hurt your feelings. Get over
> it quickly, its
> nothing personal.
>
> First to answer your question (that you deemed
> necessary to answer for
> me, thanks!) for the average guy who doesn't road
> race (who might see
> Shrines advertisements and think, hey, there's an
> idea!) and wants to
> gain a little more performance out of their car,
> adding both a BIG front
> and rear swaybar will force the car to corner
> flatter which will in turn
> make the tire block stand up straighter (also known
> as maintaining tire
> camber.) and the end result IS better cornering. The
> average person
> doesn't have stiff springs or shocks and these are
> the people who will
> see a definite performance gain by adding large F/R
> bars. Most people
> don't road race. Think about it.
>
> This would be a kick ass article in a mag if we
> could find someone to do
> it. Here is my idea:
> Take a completely stock Scirocco and remove the
> swaybars and run it on a
> skid pad. Add just a rear bar only and repeat the
> test. Then add a front
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

=====
Josh Wyte