Re: MKI Gas tank Q's

Rabbit/Jetta tanks should fit fine.

About 3 years ago I purchased an aftermarket tank for my 83 Jetta for just
shy of $200 CDN, and I believe that they are still available.  If you have
no luck from your local auto parts store, try a shop that repairs/replaces
gas tanks and/or rads - that's where I found mine.

What is it with morons putting screws into gas tanks anyways?  The
unfortunate thing is that the gas tank didn't explode and launch the
idiot PO into orbit - at least that way there's less chance of spreading
the "driving screws into gas tanks" gene.

Drew

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Anthony Pelletier wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I just finished redoing the carpet in my MKI.  I
> noticed that one of the previous owners for some
> unknown reason drove a screw though under the rear
> seat and trough the gas tank... UGH!  Thats why I have
> been smelling gas vapors for a few months.  I need to
> fix this soon, before I lose brain cells from huffing
> gas...
>
> What cars can I get a gas tank from?  Or can I buy one
> for a decent price from an autoparts store.  I realize
> I can probably repair mine, but I'd like something
> ready for immediate install when I take the old one
> out.  Will rabbit stuff fit?
>
> Also the previous owner also removed the charcoal
> canister and all that stuff.  Do I need that to make
> the car run properly?  Or can I just bypass it.
>
> I gotta figure this out before waterfest because I
> really want to drive the MKI, but I won't do it if the
> tank is spewing fumes.  I don't want to have to hang
> out with the A2 Jetta people......
>
> thanks for any info.
> Tony

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca