MKI Gas tank Q's

Hi everyone,

I just finished redoing the carpet in my MKI.  I
noticed that one of the previous owners for some
unknown reason drove a screw though under the rear
seat and trough the gas tank... UGH!  Thats why I have
been smelling gas vapors for a few months.  I need to
fix this soon, before I lose brain cells from huffing
gas...

What cars can I get a gas tank from?  Or can I buy one
for a decent price from an autoparts store.  I realize
I can probably repair mine, but I'd like something
ready for immediate install when I take the old one
out.  Will rabbit stuff fit?

Also the previous owner also removed the charcoal
canister and all that stuff.  Do I need that to make
the car run properly?  Or can I just bypass it.

I gotta figure this out before waterfest because I
really want to drive the MKI, but I won't do it if the
tank is spewing fumes.  I don't want to have to hang
out with the A2 Jetta people......

thanks for any info.
Tony