Re: Overheating... another thread. (first one bounced)

brian + list,
    same is happening to mine. same exact symptoms on the temps, 110 on hwy,
120 when on it. i havent let it hit that 135 mark, highest i've seen it is
120 at an idle. i refuse to let it go much higher as that was the end cause
of rings going on my 88 16v back in 94 (in the middle of a road trip, arg).
i've done the same as brian, even more i think. water pump, thermostat (also
did holes), radiator flush, 60/40 antifreeze/h2o, etc. the flush did drop it
some but not alot, and it will still climb up there at an extended idle,
given the chance.
    whats funny is that my other 16v (the one i yanked the motor from before
it went to the yard), ran extremely cool, just like my original 88 16v did.
it would run at 90-100 oil temp driving, go to 110 at idle. water temp would
go up 3/4 and down to 1/2 when the fan kicked on. also it wouldnt break 1/2
temp at idle with the a/c on (low speed fan could keep it there easily). on
top of all of this, both of those cars were driven in tampa, FL in the
summer!
    i believe in the end that our problem lies in tuning. not necessarily
just timing, but mixture and o2 sensor. i have a feeling that either our
mixture drifts over time (to explain hot while driving), and possibly our o2
sensor drifts in a certain direction over its lifetime, adding to the hot
idle. a well tuned engine should run damn cool, and i think slight drifts,
combined with our crazy compression ratios, all adds up to cause us pain.
lemme know what you guys think
al

Allyn Malventano, ET1(SS), USN
87 rocco 16v (rieger gto - green - 'der rocco' - restoration in progress)
87 jetta 8v wolfsburg 2dr (260k, still tight :)