Re: front swaybars vs SHINE

Don't condemn it unless you've tried it.

I've done it all.  No front bar, stock front bar and
larger front bar.  All with the largest rear bar I
could find, which is the Shine rear bar.

First some notes on the Shine rear swaybar.  It fit's
inside the twist beam axle.  There are no brackets to
break or bushings to wear out.  It's hollow, but
really large, like 30+ mm.  It works great, but is a
bit of a PITA to install.

Now onto the front bar controversy...
It really depends on what you do.  The entire point
Shine is trying to make is that the car understeers
(pushes) as it sits stock.  If you increase *both* the
front and rear swaybar sizes the car will still push.
Why do you want to do this for performance driving?
The answer?  You don't!

However, pulling off the front swaybar and running
without one isn't all that great of an idea for a
*street* car.  Without at least the stock front bar
the car will appear to roll more and feel kinda wierd.
 The race cars can get away with this because they run
huge front spring rates.

The stock front swaybar and the large rear bar will do
several things.  First of all you won't spin the
inside front wheel as much coming out of turns.
Increased traction= lower lap times and better auto-x
times.  It'll also allow the rear tires to stay more
planted, more traction=better.  You'll also have less
push and a chance to position the car with the
throttle and brake, ie controllable oversteer to clip
apexs.

With a large front swaybar you get alot more push.
You tie the front wheels together making it easier to
spin the inside front wheel coming out of a turn.  YOu
hike up the inside rear tire even more coming around
bends, less traction.  You can't control the car with
the throttle or brake through a turn.  The car does
"feel" better for lower speed street driving tho, as
it's very flat and you get alot of resistance thru the
steering wheel when you put the car into a turn.

If you do *any* kind of track driving you *don't* want
a large front swaybar!  While I hope none of you is
pushing your car hard enough on the street to actually
discern what I'm talking about, if you do, then you
also *don't* want a larger front swaybar.  Understeer
is bad!

-josh

--- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:
> At 11:38 AM -0400 6/7/01, Josh[deady]Able wrote:
> >Ok, I just want to get your views.
> >Shine claims that no front sway bar, or at the very
> least only a stock sway
> >bar should be used in an A1 car.
> >Personally from my own, and other peoples
> experiences, think Shine is on
> >crack.
> >What are your views?
> >
> >Josh Able
> >87 16v Seidl
>

> Because it makes sense in one (some) setting it has
> become the
> defining Shine Recommendation.
>
> My take: Crack Monsters. Don't feed the habit.
>

> TBerk
> balance is better, in all things
>
> --
> Email LIST problems to: