RE: Parting is such sweet sorrow

At 9:05 AM -0700 6/7/01, JOHNSON MARK MSGT wrote:
>It was in a tie with a Concrete freeway barrier <snip>

Ouch.

>The engine  (JH) still runs and the tranny
>works.

<snip>

>   The other problem is that I
>don't want the hassle of having to remove things like the engine and
>shipping them to someone, I don't have the time.  There are many things to
>consider.
>
>Mark

The yards are not in biz to help you out. They _never_ want to give
you anything for it. Consider them as a last resort.

More important is to plan ahead for a scrap yard to collect the shell
after it's stripped. Check around now so you don't have surprises.
(Best bet is to get paid for the steel but don't count on it.
Consider yourself lucky if they pick it up for free).

I wouldn't consider shipping heavy items as a private individual
unless you had some kind of hook up with a shipper or something.

Consider having some one pick it/them up, or keep the trans/motor as
spares for your current ride.

_Where_ _are_ _you_ (the cab) located? If close to a metro are then
your chances of many ants swarming is greater. Out in the boondocks,
not so good.

Bad News- You have a bent bunny.

Good news- The interior, being black, seems highly desirable. The JH
engine is a nice standard upgrade for _somebody_. The dash is a nice
replacement for a real cracked up Mk1, (but needs minor mods to fit).

If you are any where near the SF Bay Area I would be interested in
vulture-ing the thing to help with my Rabbit GTI project (I am making
one from a normal rabbit.)

I still need a black interior, including dash and headliner (which I
could do without really).

I am on a GTI list as well, do you wan to prep an ad? I can pass it along.

TBerk