CINCY 2001 My Long Version

Day 1 - Friday:

The day starts with Jason Arms and Doug C. arriving at my house with 2
red Scirocco 16V's.
Thanks again for picking up, storing, and hauling the white 16V body kit
for me Doug! I owe you one...
They patiently waited for me to load the car, and we head to Rich's
house.

My first and only mechanical failure, happened 5 minutes into the trip.
When I floored it, the accelerator cable end popped out, along with the
A2 bushing, of the hole on the pedal.
I forgot to replace the stop on the accelerator pedal, and it bent the
cable end, so it happened 10 min later on I-95.
I clamped a small vise grip on it and it got us to Rich's house, where I
improved the fix, by using a set of hemostats.

We meet up with Rich Deede, Matt Chase, Marc Getty, Jan Folkson and Scott
Williams.
Kudos to Rich for taking the time to print out directions for everybody
and letting us use the bathroom.

We get gas and we head west, well kinda...

I quickly found out that I had a vibration between 70MPH and 85MPH,
combined with the traffic, it made me drive very fast.
I lost everyone in the caravan on the first leg, but it worked out great,
because I got to drive as fast as I wanted
and later meet up with everyone at the "last rest stop before exit 12 on
the PA turnpike".

We lost Matt and Doug at the 270/70 split, I think... Shortly after the
270/70 split we stop at the rest stop and wait...
This rest stop had a Welcome Center with free maps, if you stop there
make sure you ask for a PA map. 8^)

We arrive at Daun's around 7PM on Friday...

It was great meeting Eric Soltwedel and his better half...

Day 2 - Saturday:

We drive to Daun's after breakfast...

Wow, the Sciroccos were starting to fill the driveway...

I was happily surprised when Eric S., motioned for me to park in my saved
spot, instead of at the end of the line. 8^)

It was very nice meeting Rebecca, Bill Scarrince's fiance', she's
beautiful, intelligent, not afraid to work on cars, likes Sciroccos,
what more could you ask for... 8^)

It started to rain so we head back to the hotel took a nap...

We head back to Daun's after eating at Damon's...

Laurie patiently slept in the car as I talked VolkswagEn, and had a
few...

Day 3 - Sunday:

Laurie and I entered the rally and if it wasn't for the gas pit stop and
the 10 mile detour we took, we never would've won 2nd place.
It was a lot of fun, especially in and out of the valley.  On the high
speed 10 mile detour we took, I blew by a cop going the other way at
80MPH and then Marco...
Thanks Mike Potter for supplying the prizes and all the stickers, I think
it was really cool that you came and it was nice to meet you.!

The return trip:

It's 6:15PM and we are waiting for Brian and Peter in their teal Jetta
GLI...
A black Mk.1 Scirocco race car on a trailer being pulled by a pickup
comes off the exit, and heads towards Wilmington!

By chance were they on their way to your place Daun? Or was that just a
coincidence...
Btw, this was no trailer queen, this was a fully race prepped Mk.1
Scirocco...

Marc and I waited a little longer, but after seeing the Mk.1 race car, we
could wait no longer, sorry guys...
I was tempted to follow it, had I known that Laurie ALSO wanted to run
the rally course again, I would've caught up to it.
She tells me when we were an hour into it...

We stop at McD's for Laurie...
As Marc and I are standing in the parking lot, we spot what looks like an
abandoned Mk.1. We decide to check it out.
As we get closer I realized that it's just a Toyota Corolla SR5
Lift-back, and I was reminded that my RIP '81 S was mistaken for that car
once.

After Harrisburg, I started nodding off, so we took the Lancaster exit,
as Marc's tail lights fade into the dark and slept in the car for about
an hour...

We are off again and then I started nodding off AGAIN down RT 202.

So my safety system was activated and the car ran out of gas...

4AM in the morning, I'm napping in the car and waiting for the gas
station up the road to open.

I was awoken by Laurie and an old man that works at the gas station with
GASOLINE!

I used my McD's straws to siphon the fuel into the tank, and we were on
our way.
I jammed around 7 straws into the filler neck holding the flap open, and
I poured the gas over the straws,
and most of it got sucked into the tank.

After McD's, 2 naps, 2 gas station stops,  and running out of gas, we
made it home at 6:45AM, 12 1/2 hours.

It was nice meeting everyone, and taking to the people that I already
know.

See ya all at WaterFest!

Special thanks to Daun and his parents, and good luck with the kitten!

Peter - http://thescirocco.com -  Bear, Delaware

                                                             '79 Scirocco
16V "Retro"
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"
'84.5 Oddball Scirocco JH/FF
'84 GTI
Rollers For Sale: '79, '80, '84, '88 Scirocco