spring question

I would like to lower my '83 Scirocco Wolfsburg after
I put on some 15" wheels and am wondering what my
options are.  I've noticed that most people buy
lowered springs for their VW products.  What happens
if you cut a coil or two from the stock springs?  Does
the suspension get too soft or too stiff?  I was a
Mustang 5 litre driver at one point in time, and I got
a reasonable result from cutting the coils and I'm
wondering if the same can be done for a 'rocco.

Chris J.
'83 Scirocco GT Wolfsburg Ed.