Valves/Cams-Newest problem in long backlog

Anyone feel like telling me all of the possible horrible reasons I can hear
a massive chattering noise coming from underneath my valve cover?  Now it
even drowns out the OLD horrible noise from the alternator belt.

Oil level is not the problem, I check fairly frequently.

On a previous note- had to get a new speedo cable oil seal (old one
disintegrated in my hand during removal) but finally refilled the
transmission.  One of these days I'll learn that if a gasket is involved,
buy one BEFORE removal.

Thanks,
Christopher
87 16V