Re: Perfect end to a perfect weekend... (LONG)

I had a similar experience- reflecting on the gathering
at Daun's, while dodging crater-sized potholes in Detroit last
night on the drive back...then just before I get to the Canadian border,
a super clean Mk2 8v pulls alongside and passes me. We exchange thumbs ups
and the driver, who  is obviously an enthusiast (anyone on the list???),
cranes his neck to check out my ohio mud-filled ride. I flashed my
lights to wave goodbye as he passed, with his female
passenger oblivious to our exchange. A few corners later
I notice the 8v 'rocc pulling over to the side of the highway.
Dude, if you're on the list, I hope you didn't have a problem
or want me to stop to chat. I would have loved too (your ride
looked sweeet) but I had 5+ more hours of driving to go
and it was getting dark.
Unfortuately, the border people weren't as enthused to see my rocc
as that fellow. My car was searched for smuggled goods, which delayed me
by almost an hour...I guess having a 2.0L 16v longblock
in the trunk with lots of cardboard for padding made it look
suspicious (they even looked in the oil fill hole to make
sure it wasn't a hollow engine!). Thankfully, I looked legit
with my other spare parts in there, Scirocco treffen t-shirt,
and so they didn't bother to get to the spare tire well
under the block. They let me  go on my way after rifling through my
personal belongings.
Other than that unfortunate incident, it was a great weekend.
Daun, you can't be thanked enough for hosting us and helping me
aquire that 2L. The nav. rally was da bomb. Tons of fun to drive. Kudos
go to Ben for helping to plan that I think as well. Thanks
to Brian, my Navigator..great job and I'm glad you were patient enough to
accept my slow driving (I was breaking in a new set of pagids this
weekend). Ron, thanks again for that rear swaybar. Drew, thanks for
convoying with me on the way down and helping me to clean out
my sinuses with your diesel fumes. No seriously, i was very very impressed
with the diesel and very embarrassed by the fact that the smoke
behind my 16v was not by design like yours. Hopefully that will be
addressed with the 2L block. Eric S, thanks for lugging those parts
all the way from Colorado. Katy (sp?), your grille will be proudly
worn by my 81 S. Brian Mc, thanks for that rear panel. Any aspirations
to be a manager of some kind?? With your M.Sc. and obvious leadership
abilities, I think you'd thrive in such a position.
I could go on, but i think I've already babbled on far too long..
Incidentally, my Mk1 has already called dibs to get the call for
the next Scirocco-fest!
Kareem
1981 Scirocco S
1988 Scirocco 16v  (the Tornado Red One with GTI RIms... ;-))