Re: Perfect end to a perfect weekend... (LONG)

It must have been a slow day at the Windsor bridge, as I too was detained
(although only for about 10 minutes) while my car was searched.  I guess
a guy that hasn't shaved in two days and is driving a carload full of
parts across the border is an easy mark.  It wasn't  a big deal though,
and I maintained a happy face throughout.

The only other incident that befell me on the return trip was when I
pulled into a deccel lane to hit the third rest stop to try to phone my
wife (damnned US multi- long distance carriers/local providers suck) and
the engine died (uh oh!)  I coasted into the rest stop, thought for a
second, then went and phoned my wife ("Hi honey I'm stuck outside of
Toledo with the car ...")  I then proceeded to swap the fuel lines in the
engine compartment, started the engine back up and continued on my merry
way. In plumbing the fuel lines I'd mistakenly mixed return and feed
somewhere along the way, so once the tank got down to 1/4 the pickup
(which was actually the return) couldn't reach the fuel anymore.  Luckily
it waited until I was 100 yards from a rest stop to happen!

The rest of the trip went  without incident (aside from the stop at the
border.)

I must say that it was great to meet a lot of the listers in person, and
to see their rides (or ride in their rides even) was a real treat.

Special thanks to Daun and his saint-like (or vision impaired? :) )
parents for hosting such a gathering.

Next year I plan on getting more sleep (parents with young children will
understand) and bringing beer - possibly even my wife if I can convince
her that 3 dozen Sciroccos and their owners in one place is one of the
seven wonders of the modern world.

I hope that all had a safe drive home,

Drew

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Kareem wrote:

> I had a similar experience- reflecting on the gathering
> at Daun's, while dodging crater-sized potholes in Detroit last
> night on the drive back...then just before I get to the Canadian border,
> a super clean Mk2 8v pulls alongside and passes me. We exchange thumbs ups
> and the driver, who  is obviously an enthusiast (anyone on the list???),
> cranes his neck to check out my ohio mud-filled ride. I flashed my
> lights to wave goodbye as he passed, with his female
> passenger oblivious to our exchange. A few corners later
> I notice the 8v 'rocc pulling over to the side of the highway.
> Dude, if you're on the list, I hope you didn't have a problem
> or want me to stop to chat. I would have loved too (your ride
> looked sweeet) but I had 5+ more hours of driving to go
> and it was getting dark.
> Unfortuately, the border people weren't as enthused to see my rocc
> as that fellow. My car was searched for smuggled goods, which delayed me
> by almost an hour...I guess having a 2.0L 16v longblock
> in the trunk with lots of cardboard for padding made it look
> suspicious (they even looked in the oil fill hole to make
> sure it wasn't a hollow engine!). Thankfully, I looked legit
> with my other spare parts in there, Scirocco treffen t-shirt,
> and so they didn't bother to get to the spare tire well
> under the block. They let me  go on my way after rifling through my
> personal belongings.
> Other than that unfortunate incident, it was a great weekend.
> Daun, you can't be thanked enough for hosting us and helping me
> aquire that 2L. The nav. rally was da bomb. Tons of fun to drive. Kudos
> go to Ben for helping to plan that I think as well. Thanks
> to Brian, my Navigator..great job and I'm glad you were patient enough to
> accept my slow driving (I was breaking in a new set of pagids this
> weekend). Ron, thanks again for that rear swaybar. Drew, thanks for
> convoying with me on the way down and helping me to clean out
> my sinuses with your diesel fumes. No seriously, i was very very impressed
> with the diesel and very embarrassed by the fact that the smoke
> behind my 16v was not by design like yours. Hopefully that will be
> addressed with the 2L block. Eric S, thanks for lugging those parts
> all the way from Colorado. Katy (sp?), your grille will be proudly
> worn by my 81 S. Brian Mc, thanks for that rear panel. Any aspirations
> to be a manager of some kind?? With your M.Sc. and obvious leadership
> abilities, I think you'd thrive in such a position.
> I could go on, but i think I've already babbled on far too long..
> Incidentally, my Mk1 has already called dibs to get the call for
> the next Scirocco-fest!
> Kareem
> 1981 Scirocco S
> 1988 Scirocco 16v  (the Tornado Red One with GTI RIms... ;-))

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca