Re: U.S. Bulbs for Euro Headlights

Hmmmm... Travis, something's wrong.  No matter how much wattage you're
throwing out, no one should ever be blinded by your Euro lights if they're
aimed correctly.

I use 90/100 bulbs (relayed, of course) in both my Mercedes and my
Scirocco, and not once have I been flashed, ever.  With the lights aimed
properly, you can see clear as day that there is little light being aimed
above the cutoff line, so it's impossible that you blind anyone.

And believe me -- it's not an issue of people in PA flashing less than
people in AZ.  When I have my fogs on in the Mercedes, which are located on
the inside of the headlights and therefore look as if they're high beams
even though they are not blinding at all, people flash me non-stop.

My suggestion is to check the wiring to your bulbs.  If you've had to aim
the lights "down", you have the wires crossed so that the high-beam
filaments are on as low-beams by mistake.  When the lights are wired
properly, the lenses should roughly follow the contour of the grille --
i.e. nearly vertical.  If they're aimed "down", and you can still see
anything, your lights are wired incorrectly.  (Talking from experience here).

Go to scirocco.org and check out the correct wiring for the Euro lights and
make sure that your lights are wired properly.  Or, drive up perpendicular
to a vertical surface (garage door, wall, etc) and make sure you see a
distinct cutoff -- light below, dark above -- in the light pattern.  It
should look like a horizontal line that suddenly juts upwards at a ~30'
angle towards the right of the beam.

If you just see scattered light with no cut-off, again, the lights are on
high-beam.

And the reason why the Europeans like single low-beam H4 lights is because
they work well.  But just like here, one of the first things people do is
add wattage to their lights.  And lest I remind ya that only the CL -- the
absolute stripper model Scirocco -- came with the single H4s instead of the
H4/H3 quad-lenses.  The good cars (i.e. the desirable ones) got the quad
lights that we put on our cars.

Jason

At 02:43 AM 6/4/01 , Travis Bedford wrote:
>JC,
>
>When the lights were adjusted incorrectly and going into people's back
>windows. I got brake-checked twice. The second time the guy pulled over
>and got behind me. Then he put on his brights. He was in a truck of
>course. Lets be honest. Americans like the Euro crap, and the euro's like
>single mk II headlights. I live in the desert. Why do I need 55/60? I
>don't. Too much lighting is left for high end european cars, and rice-boy
>retards. Combat kits can hold a lot of PIAA's, can't they? I love the
>looks, but the bulbs are unnecessary. BTW, I got LASIK last Fall.
>
>Travis.
>8816V.
>'no fogs in AZ allowed.'

1987 Scirocco 16v