new car woes

picked-up the new '87 GT yesterday and it's pretty solid & runs well, only
74,000 miles, and virtually rust-free. All in all, pretty good for £150GBP.
One real pain-in-the-ass problem though - it keeps cutting out. Appears to
be fuel starvation - it's a carburated 1.6 engine with 2E2 carburettor - as
it will run for a mile or so and then stutter before cutting-out. Give it 30
seconds or so and it'll start again. I noticed that when the tank was down
at 1/4 full there was quite a lot of bubbling in the fuel feed & return
lines at idle and when it was revved, not so much when I filled the tank.
The tank has been cleaned by the PO and has a new fuel pump, filler neck and
AFAIK, most of the flex fuel hoses replaced. I presume it has a new fuel
filter as well - looks clean enough. I've checked the hard lines running
under the car and there are no kinks so I'm assuming that theres either an
obstruction in the tank pick-up or in the hard line.  Checked the warm-air
inlet in case it was carb icing but the flap was stuck with the hot-air flap
fully open - I've moved it to 1/2 way but no difference,as expected.
Any of you guys running carbed engines care to comment on possible causes?

TIA,

Ewan Hopkins

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0