Rust at the A pillar

Hi
I noticed some rust bubbles (rust from the inside) down in the right hand side corner of the windscreen...at the bottom of the a pillar.
This weekend i took of the fender to look at the damage...i was releived to see that the rust hadn't gone into the pillar in front of the door, but had only spread in the window sorround. I've now cut away all the bad metal and i'm ready to put in some fresh stuff...but i'm about 1 inch away from the rubber sorrounding the windscreen! - can i risk welding in new metal? (As if I had a choice)
I'm thinking of buying a complete plate (the one that goes right infront of the windscreen) and then just cut out the end that I need...is this the way to do it? It's a very tricky place if I wanted to make my own panels!
 - How do the rain drainage thing work really? - it seems as everything that runs down the windscreen is guided out towards the A pillars and then just "dumped"  behind the fender into the wheel arch...how clever is that?

Hmmm, this was a lot of questions..sorry!

Thanks !

Morten T Nielsen
"Euro lister"
76´Scirocco 1.6 TS (Carb)