My Saturday at Cincy (longish)

If you didn't make it, you should have.

Being's that I'm fairly local to Daun, I wasn't able
to dedicate the entire weekend to the event like the
out-of-towners, but I did get permission for a full
Saturday.

As I'm an early riser, and closer to the airport than
Daun, I headed down to the airport to collect the
Special Mystery Guest arriving from LA...after a brief
search, The Potterman and I caught up with each other
at 6:30am, and headed North.  Cool chat, stopped to
load up a stock of community beer (Potterman got the
Amstel, I bought the cheap stuff, natch), and arrived
at Daun's about 8:00.

The contigent of folks crashing at Daun's slowly
filtered into the garage, some looking a little more
precarious than others.  Rebecca's cookies helped;
they were breakfast for some.

And the rain came.

And stopped, and came again.  And stopped again a few
times, followed immediately by it's return each time.

Somewhere in there I saw a flying a/c compressor.
Who's was that?

Over the course of the morning, the roc's from the
hotelers filtered in, filling the grounds.  I counted
25 at one point but that was pretty early.  At the
peak, there were more; how many I don't know.

I barely had a chance to look at what cars were there
during a brief lull in the rain, and I was hailed from
the garage ("Hey...you Cheapass Ron?")...after a very
brief introduction, Brian McGarvey commandeered my
keys and pulled my car into the garage...that man
takes COMMAND, let me tell you...and I was left to
gaze in wonder at this rather large human flurry, and
could only pull out the parts for the passenger side
mount swap.  Brian - (darn I forget your last name -
very sorry - Haygood?) was his right-hand man, and a
good one. Things proceeded quickly and efficiently.
Except for my forgetting the control arm bushings
after Brian had almost completed pulled the damn thing
off.

Left to my own, as nobody would let me lift or do
anything, Frank Jones, who showed up to help, started
to pull apart the passenger seat that Eric Night
Shadow Soltwede and lovely g/f (sorry, I forgot the
name) dragged out intact from Colorado (I told you to
strip that thing man!) (the seat).  Rebecca dove in as
well, she's no slouch with hand tools (no comments
here about working bottoms vs. backs or a walk to the
barn for goodies). An hour or so later, these two
converted my typically trashed driver's seat into a
new-looking (and feeling) one...shoulda made this a
tech procedure.  A WONDERFUL job.

Frank, glad you didn't get that ticket.  Scirocco's
must be blessed.  Or was it your honest face?

Dan Snow toted a hood I had bought by installing it on
his car, and driving it from Florida.  He and Frank
Jones did the swap, putting my trashed (and souvenir
footprinted) hood on Dan's car so he head back to
gator-land where he can trash it.  These guys were
meticulous.

Thanks Alee for pulling that fender on the A2, I
didn't get a chance to say so at Daun's.

Jim Mikesh always seemed to be lending me a hand
somewhere.  He carried my toolbox more than I did.
Thanks.

Frank Jones, Brian Haygood?, Jim Mikesh, Rebecca
"Bob's fiance"...thanks, what a load of great folks,
special thanks to Brian McGarvey and of course Daun.
Everybody else...Allyn, Neal, Foxx, Drew, Pete, Scott,
Potterman, dozens more...great to meet you.

It's getting long...I'll sign off.

Ron
PS I'll vote for myself for "Most Improved Car" during
Cincy 2K+1.  I got a hood, a seat, and a motor mount
for the price of lunch.  And I hardly lifted a finger.