Motor died

On my way to work,Friday. Light turns green, I accelerate , and about 50
yards, the car just dies. Car is nomally in excellent shape.1/2 tank of
gas, no indication that anything was wrong. Had been driving on the
highway, then stuck in traffic on the service road for 5 minutes before
this happened, so the car was hot. When I tried to start it, it cranked
but didn't catch.Pulled the fuel pump relay and jumped the 2 leads.
Heard the pump run but still didn't catch. Fuel problem?Spark?  ....Any
ideas?
 John