Re: transmission drain plug dilemma

Christopher,

Both plugs are supposed to accept the 17mm hex bit. Has the one that's loose been
damaged? In any case, I would expect that the plug would be strong enough to allow you
to get it out. Keep in mind that when you retorque these plugs, the torque value is only
18 ft/lb (less than what is typical for M8 fasteners). They probably get over-torqued
frequently.

Also, make really sure you refill with the correct amount of lube. I know of at least
one error in the Bentley manual where the fill capacity is stated incorrectly!

Bob

Christopher Mueller wrote:

> Possible scenarios:
> 1. I'm stripping the refill plug
> 2. I have two different size plugs
> 3. I'm cursed, or incompetent.
>
> Bought a 17mm hex bit to change the transmission oil and got as far as
> draining the oil and replacing the drain plug.  Moving on to refill with new
> oil, I can't get the second plug out.  Seems that the hex bit is much looser
> in the refill plug than it is in the drain plug.  Is it at all possible that
> I have two different size plugs in my transmission?  Is there such a thing
> as an 18mm plug?
>
> Thanks All,
> Christopher
> 87 16V