just joined and need help - elusive misfire !

Hi all,
I am hoping someone here can help with my misfiring scirocco...?

Here's the gen:

Stock 8 v engine (1.8 carb EX) running with Weber conversion, tubular
exhaust manifold and free flow system.

Car was running fine upto about 2 months ago (it then had the Pierburg 2E2
carb). It also had new fuel lines then and ran fine with them. Started to
develop a misfire at higher revs and under load, sometimes so bad that it
stalled the engine.

Initially thinking it was the carb, this has been replaced with a known good
s/hand weber (its jetted for a 1.6 not the 1.8)- but that I feel is not a
major concern ...as the problem persisted

In attempting to solve the misfire I have:

replaced coil
new fuel filter
replaced fuel pump
plugs
leads
cap
checked rotor arm for resistance (within Haynes tolerance (1.05k ohms)
Swapped ignition unit for a spare
cleaned up contacts on coil and rewired some suspect wiring
cleaned up contacts on alternator that supply 12v (I read somewhere this
could also cause problems)
stripped, cleaned and reassembled dizzy

What else?????

The coil gives a 1-2sec reading of 6v falling to 0 at the coil with ignition
on (Haynes says it should fall from 2v - is this a problem?)

If I then earth the central contact of the dizzy multiplug (as in Haynes ) I
get a voltage of about 2mV steady across the coil with the ignition on - not
the 5-6 V Haynes suggests. Again - anyone know if this is a problem ??

(For these voltages - I checked on another rocco and they were the same ???)

I have also noticed if I advance the timing, the misfire range moves lower
down the rev band, but car accelates more smoothly - i.e. I get a lumpy
cruising at about 40 mph but Ok acceleration. If I retard the timing a tad,
its the reverse situation (OK cruising, lumpy acceleration).

AM I missing something here?

ANY help appreciated!! I love the car but its driving me crazy!!

Ian

1987 Scirocco Scala (the white one!)