help me out here

OK so I sold my 85 Scirocco to a frriend who was not an enthusiast in the
least. I had just had a rebuilt transmission put in when i sold it to him a
year ago. The other day he calls and says he cant get any gear to catch. he
can shift to all gears, but none catch. So he goes and buys another car
today and says I can buiy the roc back for 4 hundred or so. Now my
question..is this a sympton of blown tranny or bad clutch? I know not which
and I havent even tried it maself. i want the car back, but if it's the
tranny, the car will be up for parts or rebuilding. I am jax
Florida/....email all questions to me and I'll respond promptly
Bobby griffin