Re: OT the joy of small towns (long)

Cathy Boyko wrote:

> Well, I am delighted to live in a small town, but getting repairs done is a
> challenge.
> Car #1: The Rocc (of course)
> My clutch is dead so I booked it in for last week Wed. The guy is a friend of
> my son's and has actually done VW clutches, unlike other local shops that flat
> out refuse to touch "imports". <snip>

I just did one myself. You can do it, with a few extra hand tools and a
two by four or two. Prob a good idea to block out the weekend the 1st
time and start early Sat but folks with experience can knock one out in
about two hours if they prep before hand. Shoot, with air tools I'll bet
I could do one in about half an hour if I really jammed on it.

> Car #2 (previously #1 until I bought the silver headache) The Bug

LOL! I thought you were talking BUG! as in they couldn't find the wire
mesh screen type filter in an air cooled motor.  :])

<snip>
> It seriously took 10 minutes,
> after I suggested take the top engine cover off, they located it, I didn't
> know where it was either, but after my training session, I'm well prepared to
> do my own. Are the new gas (A4) engines the same, with a cartridge in the
> front? Who would think an oil change would be so tough?
>
> --

Yeah, they make it hard to do your own work. SO hard the mechs cant
either. 8P

TBerk