OT the joy of small towns (long)

Well, I am delighted to live in a small town, but getting repairs done is a
challenge.
Car #1: The Rocc (of course)
My clutch is dead so I booked it in for last week Wed. The guy is a friend of
my son's and has actually done VW clutches, unlike other local shops that flat
out refuse to touch "imports". So the problem is the GMC van ahead of me on
the hoist, still waiting for him to extract two pieces of metal form the
cylinders. Supposed to be a small job, with one hoist, I have to wait. And
take it somewhere else? Everyone is booked or won't touch it. So my silver
"roar around for the summer" car is sitting for half of the summer.
Car #2 (previously #1 until I bought the silver headache) The Bug
 Booked an oil change (I'll do this myself after the powertrain warrantee is
done, but for now I want documentation, plus I had a free change coupon
anyway) So I roll in and talk to them, they click away on the computer and say
"Oh, we don't have a filter for that" So I'm right on the mileage for the
change and going on vacation 600 miles this week, and it needs to be done, so
I rip up to the dealer get a filter and book it in the next day. Strangest
filter I've ever seen, reminds me of the one on the Kid's ATV, a cartridge, so
I'm thinking I better watch them do it so they don't bend some $50 part.
Anyway, I wish I had the camera, no less than 6 "technicians" leaning over the
car trying to figure out where the filter is! It seriously took 10 minutes,
after I suggested take the top engine cover off, they located it, I didn't
know where it was either, but after my training session, I'm well prepared to
do my own. Are the new gas (A4) engines the same, with a cartridge in the
front? Who would think an oil change would be so tough?