how to adjust valve timing?

Now I know this gets asked all the time, but what is the best way to adjust
the valve timing?  I was changing the passanger side mount today and decided
to change the timing belt while I was at it.  Bentley says to line up the
timing mark in the crank pulley with the notch in the main v-belt pulley -
but there is no notch in the vbelt pulley!!!  Can I do this without tearing
all the pulleys off again)?  I thought there was some way to do this by
putting the engine at TDC, and then lining up the timing marks on the valve
pulley.

-Shawn