Alt Question

So my battery light (and OXS light) are on and never go off..  I tried
cleaning up the grounds, and that helped for a few minutes, but then they
came back on.  I have ordered a new voltage regulator, but here's the
question:

When I measure voltage coming off the alt (referenced to the battery's
ground), it is about 13.5volts.  With the car running, the battery terminals
are at something like 13 volts.  With the car not running, the battery
terminal voltage is lower than either of those.  That tells me that the car
is charging.  There is a .8volt drop between the big weire on the alternator
and the blue wire at the alternator, and that is enough to make the blue
wire voltage less than battery voltage when the car is running. OK, here's
the question:

Am I discharging my battery as I drive, or just not charging it up much?

Thanks.
BH