Lotsa questions about a '88 16v

Well it looks like in a little bit I'm going to be a proud owner of a '88
16v. My friend owes me a large sum money (around $1600), and has offered me
his car as payment. It's got 69,250 on the od. There's no rust, paint looks
fairly good (but it's dirty as hell, been sitting under a tree for 7
months). The front end is slightly damaged. The hood is kind squished, and
the metal grid where the plastic grill is attached too is bent in. But the
airdam (I think that's what it's called) is perfectly fine, as is the rest
of the structure of the car. But the hood is going to have to be replaced.

As the past owner put it "it pulls like a mofo". Not sure exactly what the
problem is, but he's got a new rack and pinnion that I need to get put in
it. I was quoted $216 for labor, plus another $59 for the alignment from
University VW here in Seattle. It was the best price I could find. Does that
sound about right? Can anyone in the seattle area recomend a good mecanic?
Is this something I could possibly do myself? What tools would be required.

Ok asumming I replace the hood, have the front end pulled out a bit, replace
the bumper, etc.. .etc. . etc. . Oh and the car has been lowered, has a
Techtonics exhast installed, and has been tuned. What would the car be worth
(ie what would it sell for). I'm basicly trying to find if the value of the
car repaired would  equal the sum of my friends dept to me and the cost of
the repairs.

Oh another thing . .. Can anybody suggest and junk yards in the
seattle area that might have a Scirocco or two? There's a bunch of
little misc plastic stuff handles and headlight housings and shit
that needs replacing.

Sorry for all the questions ; - )

aireq