[OT] [A2] Linkage not linking

I just did a clutch job on a A2 Jetta and I now have trouble getting
into 1st and have no reverse. (Up to this point the car _had_ no clutch
as the PO had burnt up the friction disk). I swapped another 9a trans I
have and installed a new pressure plate w/ bolts, friction disk, push
plate, rear main seal.

I know the four mount system in A1 cars but this thing is weird with
it's three mounts for four corners setup.

After driving it around today thinking it might settle out I wonder what
might be the good tip to line it up; shifter lever reposition?, bent
linkage mounts?, known thrashed vertical shaft bushings?, floor jack
under the motor and retighten the mount bolts?

Bentley & Haynes & (gulp- Chilton) all say use the alignment tool/jig.
Don't have one. How wide is it?

tia,
TBerk
shoot, it's prob the overly stretched & worn clutch cable.  8])