Battery diode light question?

Hi list, when i took my alternator and ac compressor out i had to disconnect
all the wires to my alternator obviously, when i put it all back together,
the battery light in my cluster doesnt come on anymore when i turn the
ignition on, its supposed to come on then  go off when the car starts, does
anyone know what could be wrong??
   Im positive i connected everything back where it was, the only thing that
is different is i didnt put the wire back on the goes to the ac compressor,
becuase i dont need the ac, could this be it? i dont think it is. Im pretty
sure its the little blue wire that comes off the alternator that powers the
diode in the cluster, and its hook up, so whats up? if anyone can help it
would be great, thanks

Aaron
88 scirocco 16v
Sacramento, CA