Re: Ahh, The Joy.

--- joseph Trussell <joetruss@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I need to vent a little.
>
> So, I'm sitting on the busiest stretch of I-25 in
> Denver yesterday during
> rush hour, and my $200 (well, now around $500) '85
> Scirocco decides that
> it's as good a place as any to blow out the clutch
> cable.  Nothing like that
> feeling, in 95 degree heat and in the middle lane of
> a packed, crawling
> interstate, of pushing in the clutch and getting the
> response of a wet
> noodle.
> I will say this:  pushing this thing is a lot easier
> than pushing my Vanagon
> was.
> So I got her off the road, found that the cable had
> jumped out of its sleeve
> above the plastic tube above the adjuster nut,
> cranked on four mini hose
> clamps to get it back in there, and had three more
> uses of the clutch.
> Almost enough to get me home.  Stopped on the side
> of another road, found
> where the cable had decided to jump out up by the
> firewall, and gave up the
> repairs (out of hose clamps) and started pushin'.
> Thank goodness it's a
> flat part of town, and that I have a strong back!
> An hour commute becomes
> three hours.

fun.

btw, you can drive a car without a clutch cable - it's
not easy, but I've done it several times in a pinch.
The toughest thing is getting the car rolling (like at
traffic lights). With the ignition off, put the car in
1st, then start the car (your car will be starter
powered briefly!). Getting into 2nd and 3rd requires
"feel" for the right RPM (Luke, remember the force!).

on a related note, I just replaced the clutch cable in
our 1978 Scirocco - it was the original cable . . .

=====
Mark Peele
1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
For Sale: Various VW 13" Steel Wheels - free - you haul.
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)