Re: 16v Tip-O-The-Day

Benjamin Harder wrote:

About finding an air leak.

Just this last Saturday, instead of working on any of my _own_ cars, I
worked on rehabilitating my buddy's A2 8v 87 Jetta. (It's funny because
it might have been a Carat but wasn't badged so- had electric windows,
central locking, uprated rims etc., etc.)

But anyway; he had not been doing any maintenance, (Bad Driver!, BAD!)
so I was hooking him up with the oil & plugs and such. When we got to
putting the Mann air filter in we had to move some things out of the way
and discovered that both of the two small 'L' shaped rubber hoses that
went to the idle stabilizer relays where CRACKED. Ugh.

No Prob, Bob says I and off to the backyard, only to find I had NOT the
right part.

Some electrical tape and a couple of zip ties made for a driveway repair
(kinda like roadside repair) but it could still use some new hose.

Dude had been complaining about the car dying when in stop and go
traffic and the car was real warmed up, plus the idle would 'lope'. Now
all is well, idle is tight, A/C doesn't cause the idle to plunge and all
is right with the world. improve pick up and torque too.

So- Check for LEAKS!

TBerk
on caffeine