16v Tip-O-The-Day

 I have owned my 16v for over 3 years now and the car has never run just quite
right...the idle usually "floats" a bit and cold starts/running has always been
rough.  I have done much troubleshooting and tried many things to correct these
issues, like thourogh cleaning of the intake, TB, and idle stabilizer.  I have
checked the coolant temp sender and various wiring in my search for a perfect
idle...
  So, while doing some cleaning and inspecting I notice that my intake boot
has this nice crack...hidden under the metal clamp at the throttle body!
Hmmm...wonder if this could be the cause of my problems?
So, I borrow a spare intake boot from Marco and gave it a try...
What a difference!!  After fooling around with the idle a little I was able
to get it more stable than ever...and as for driving...the 16v feels stonger
then ever!  I watched my air/fuel gauge hit the "Rich" area for the first time
ever.  I have always wondered why my 16v would never indicate anything past the
middle of stoich.  My guess is that the crack caused a good enough vacuum leak
so that just enough extra air entered the intake that was not measured, which
would cause the engine to run a little lean, right?  It's so great to be able
to actually *see* this change with the stoich gauge!
  Now my 16v runs better, and even starts a little better...and even idles
better than before!  So, those of you that have encountered similar issues, it
is my suggestion to remove your intake boot and carefully inspect it for
cracks.
Make sure to bend it and look for dry-rotting too...

Well, this concludes Ben's tip-o-the-day

=====
Benjamin Harder
86 Scirocco 16v
81 Scirocco S 1.8 8v