throttle linkage, gas pedal

I installed an Audi 5000 Avant throttle body and a 3"
sewer pipe into my '83 wolfsburg yesterday.  It wasn't
that hard to do, except for stretching the rubber
boots over the pipe and determining the right length
for the pipe.  However I'm stuck with a stupid
problem.  I got lazy with the linkage, and decided to
cut and weld the Audi bracket so that my accelerator
cable would hook up to the Audi linkage.  It's more
involved than people tell you to remove your VW
linkage and put it on the Audi throttle body.  You
have to remove a throttle shaft and undo all those
crazy springs.  Which is why I decided to cut and
weld.  What happened is that I didn't choose the right
geometry at my first attempt, so when I pressed the
accelerator, the pedal fell to the floor.  After
fixing things up, I can't get the pedal to come up all
the way to the proper position.  Also, I don't think
I'm getting the full travel of the pedal, so the
secondaries aren't opening up all the way.  Anyone
have this problem and solved it?  Is something bent?
I can't make any sense of it all, and I'm having to
ride my motorcycle to work!

Chris J.

'83 Scirocco GT Wolfsburg
'81 Kawasaki KZ550