Re: Sputtering CIS-E

--- Aaron Ness <aaron@makuta.com> wrote:
> Not a Scirocco, but it's related so closely I
> figured I'd ask.  This is my
> brother's '85 GTI.
>
> Two injectors were replaced by a mechanic last
> summer when my other brother
> owned it.  I don't know which two.  In the last
> several months the car has
> once again been sputtering, making me think the
> other two injectors need it.
> I suggested that he run a bottle of Techron through
> the system to see if it
> helps.
>
> We pulled the plugs this weekend (relatively new
> Bosch Platinum), and
> cylinders 1 and 4 were kind of dark, like they were
> running rich.  Cylinders
> 2 and 3 were running clean, and I would say almost a
> little lean.  This
> makes me think 1 and 4 were replaced and are
> providing more fuel, and the O2
> sensor is compensating by allowing less fuel,
> causing 2-3 to run leaner.  Or
> are 1-4 giving a poor spray pattern and giving an
> incomplete burn,
> indicating that 2-3 were replaced?
>
> Anyway, we checked compression and it's okay.  We
> also sprayed carb cleaner
> all over the hoses and by the injectors and didn't
> find any vacuum leaks.
> We reset the timing, which was advanced slightly.

Test the fuel injectors for starters . . .

The test is outlined in Bentley.

I've got similar problems with my 1987 Golf GT - which
has the same drivetrain (almost, the '85 is HT, mine
is RD). I have a rough idle and sputtering pathetic
acceleration. Good fuel pumps & filter. Relatively
recent O2 sensor.  I tested the injectors - uniform
spray pattern across all four.

I guess the next thing I'll be checking is the cold
start valve to see if it is leaking. And of course,
all the electrical connections and vacuum connections
. . .

I'm scratching my head too . . . .

:-(

=====
Mark Peele
1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco, 1978 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
For Sale: Various VW 13" Steel Wheels - free - you haul.
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)