Sputtering CIS-E

Not a Scirocco, but it's related so closely I figured I'd ask.  This is my
brother's '85 GTI.

Two injectors were replaced by a mechanic last summer when my other brother
owned it.  I don't know which two.  In the last several months the car has
once again been sputtering, making me think the other two injectors need it.
I suggested that he run a bottle of Techron through the system to see if it
helps.

We pulled the plugs this weekend (relatively new Bosch Platinum), and
cylinders 1 and 4 were kind of dark, like they were running rich.  Cylinders
2 and 3 were running clean, and I would say almost a little lean.  This
makes me think 1 and 4 were replaced and are providing more fuel, and the O2
sensor is compensating by allowing less fuel, causing 2-3 to run leaner.  Or
are 1-4 giving a poor spray pattern and giving an incomplete burn,
indicating that 2-3 were replaced?

Anyway, we checked compression and it's okay.  We also sprayed carb cleaner
all over the hoses and by the injectors and didn't find any vacuum leaks.
We reset the timing, which was advanced slightly.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Aaron
'87 528e