Re: I F*KING QUIT! !!!!UPDATE!!!!

Bob, the problem that you are having with not seeing a keyway in the pulley
is because you rounded it off. Its a little boss that is part of the pulley.
Get a new pulley (or used) and put it ont he car and then it should run.
Hopefully it doesnt have bent valves. You'll know it if they are bent. GL!

>Hi guys (and gals!), me again.  Im back from the roadtrip and started
>working on the scirocco again, and have had lots of success and some
>failure.
>I would also like to thank a local lister, Chris D for giving me tons of
>support, advice and parts. If it werent for him, Id still be beating my
>head against the wall.
>
>Heres what happened:
>
>-Came back, checked cam/crank/distributor timing. Seemed to be off a
>couple teeth, so I put it back. Still nothing. Checked fuel, still kind
>of crappy but I thought it should have worked.
>
>-Get fuel distributor from Chris, install it. Still nothing. Check
>cam/crank/distributor timing again, and its off again... Am I stupid or
>did I just do it wrong? I put it back, crank it over and it fires up!!
>Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>- About 30 seconds later it stalls, never to be started again. It was an
>even crank too, Like I had no compression. WTF?
>
>-Check cam/crank/dist timing again, and its off. OK somethings going on
>here.  I found 2 problems. First, the lower plastic belt cover
>disintegrated and pieces were getting under the belt.. Ewwwww... Take it
>all off, realign everything, have a friend crank it and nothing...
>However I noticed that while hes cranking, the timing belt isnt moving!!
>Hmmmm.  OK, so I take off the accessory belts (What a shitty design) and
>take off the crank pulley (BOLT WAS LESS THAN FINGER
>TIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). It seems the crank pulley was slipping on
>the crank!  Not a terrible amount of wear on either the pulley or the
>crank so Im sure is salvageable. I did notice something... the crank has
>a keyway, but the pulley does not!! Is this true?
>
>Should I put it back together without a key? How do I prevent this from
>happening again???
>
>Secondly... in everything stated...what are the chances I bent valves???
>
>Getting closer...Its just a matter of time... :)
>
>Thanks for the help!!!
>Bob
>

>--

Chris DeLong