Re: The Cheapass Swaybar! (finally)

While it wouldn't be tough to determine exactly where
the centerline of rotation is on that beam (somewhere
in the upright part of the "T" shape of the
crossmember), it would be tough to set up a torsion
bar concentric to that axis.  We've set this up so
that the bar is as close to the center of that
rotation as possible...with this type of bar, there's
no way to get it closer (not enough room under the
car).  (It's also as close to the axle pivot point as
we could get it.) The Cheapass arrangement places less
tension force on the bar than the Shine bar does,
since his sits much farther beneath the "T" than our
c-channel does, what with those big old v-blocks
setting it out an inch or two. (it raises the tension
force).

Simple logic...if Shine says his bar doesn't bind
(compared to conventional anti-sway bar) and this bar
binds less than his...it's gotta be good, no?

Now, as far as an arrangement with slots, my logic
also says that VW made the crossmember to be stressed
both in tension and torsion (it's not a round tube,
after all).  Given this, we ignored the tension force.
 Slotting may be better, but we begin to compromise
the Cheapass goal.

Now, IMO the BEST way, short of totally reconstructing
the rear axle assembly with some pipe, would be to
triangulate the 'T' of the crossmember with some
plate.  But there's welding, and removal, and space
considerations, and weight, and it's permanent (i.e.,
non-tinkerable )...

Thanks for the observations, are you ready to join the
Cheapass Movement?

--- SailingFC@aol.com wrote:
> The bar bolted on in the same position as you and
> Ben have done it.  I've
> seen a round bar that bolted on the the triangle
> gussets too(Mr. Berk?).
>
> I have been thinking about your design for some time
> because there is a
> chance that it will bind and limit the range of
> motion of each arm.  Because
> it's not twisting on the identical axis as the axle
> and it's restrained with
> 2 bolts on both ends, there is a chance it will bind
> on large suspension
> movements.  One solution is slots, but I haven't
> figured out how to secure it
> and allow movement.
>
> -Dick-
> 78 Scirocco
> Original Owner
> http://member.aol.com/sailingfc/

> Daylight Time,
> rapieper@yahoo.com writes:
>

> :(  You mean someone's already done this?  (surprise
> surprise).  Did your friend's bar bolt to the
> trailing
> arms or the T-shaped crossmember?  (Ben and I chose
> the trailing arms to minimize stress on the trailing
> arm - crossmember weld).

=====
Ron (Cheapass)
'87 16V, ("Victor"), '93 Cabby ("Teufelhasen")
ICQ 108845455

"One....two....one...two...three..."
-Lynyrd Skynyrd