My Scirocco Weekend

Hey everyone,

Just want to toot my own horn.

I managed to get some time in the garage to work on my Scirocco this
weekend. I installed a 1985 Cabriolet radiator and custom fit an overflow
bottle to the car. After installing a new battery I took her out for a spin.
The car still isn't running right, but it's mainly hard to start and idles
rough. Once you get it going and over 2000 RPM's it seemed fine. Really
weird. Next weekend I'm bringing it into the shop to have someone else find
the real problem, because I've spent enough hours in the garage on this one.

BTW, for those 16V owners who want to know about the Autotech cams, they
make a big ol' difference. In trying to isolate my problem I removed them
and installed my stock cams. Driving this 2.0 liter 16V with the stock cams,
well  it still has all the grunt it used to, but it doesn't have the snap at
all anymore. I didn't even hit the rev limiter once with the stock cams
because they made the motor spin up much slower. I know that we don't always
trust the Autotech products, but these are great performance for the price,
and smog legal in California. Not many products out there can say that.

But I have to say, when I was screaming around that freeway on ramp, it put
a HUGE smile on my face to be driving the Scirocco again. Even when it isn't
running perfectly, it's a joy to drive. Hopefully it will be back to perfect
sometime soon.

Later -- Craig Williams
1981 Scirocco S 2008cc 16V (As seen in 01-2001 Sport Compact Car)
1991 Passat Wagon 2.0 16V (For the Wife & baby)
2000 Saab Viggen (20 psi, Turbo charged monster)
Northern California, USA