Re: Mysterious yellow box

  That would be a cruise control, I hade the exact same cruise control
installed on my 84.

  Mine stopped working when the magnets for the speed sensor fell off.
They were attached to the left front axle. There is also a humongous
vacuum driven servo throttle control somewhere on the engine
compartment, a switch on the clutch or brake pedal, and a chain linking
both pedals, attached to the firewall or under the dash.

  The three adjustments are low speed, sensitivity and centering.

  Hmmm ... just found the manual. It was actually a Sears unit, made by
Dana. Sears' model number was 45600.

  I had it installed because at the time I was a lot on the highway, and
that was a safe way to avoid "speed creep", where you start doing 100
Kph, the legal limit, and end up a few hours later doing 160, until you
run into a radar trap.

  The cruise control helped me sail safely at 120 :-)

  Hope this helps!

	Jean-Claude
	84 8V (in hibernation)
	96 Jetta GLS