Re: portin and polishin

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:03:44 -0500 "Ryan McCarthy" <rmccarthy777@msn.com>
writes:
>I've got a stock intake I'm working on for my rocco that's ported out
>for an
>audi 5000 TB and I would like to polish up my runners. Because of the
>length
>of them, I'm not sure really what to use. I've got a nice carbide
>deburring
>bit for doing the mouth, but I'd really like to smooth out the whole
>internal length. I'm also thinking of doing the inside of the plenum,
>but
>I've got the same difficulty. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks.

I made my own tool. You can too, its simple. (Well, kinda.)

I took a length of rod and cut a slit down one end of it. Then I took a
8" strip of 80 grit sandpaper (we get this stull in a big roll at work.)
It doesnt have to be 8". Whatever length. I like to start with a long
piece since it shreads itself down as you use it. Then I just use my
drill and start working the inside. The problem is you cant see too far
inside but if there are any sharp edges or burs  inside, it will knock it
down to a acceptable size. Then I use a finer grit paper to finish the
work. Takes some time to do the runners and the pelnum. DO take your time
and dont spend alot of time one one area. Keep it moving. The idea is to
clean up the runners and plenum and NOT to port them.

Oh, you wont be able to do the entire length of the runners as I recall.
(might be wrong, its been a while.) just do as much of it as you can and
you DONT have to polish the intake plenum or runners.  Anyways, hope this
helps.

If I missed anything, ask away.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V       84' Scirocco 8V           88' Corvette "SS"
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   79' "Project FSP Scirocco"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!