Re: Why do you own a Scirocco? My 10 reasons...

In no particular order, excepting #10 is a big reason:

1. It's a VW, and I was bitten by the bug about 15
years ago.
2. It was cheap to buy, as many know I paid $300 for
my 16V.
3. It's cheap and easy to work on, and like many
others, my idea of a perfect day is in/on/under/around
my car with my hands full of tools.
4. With relatively minor maintenance, and nearly
always predictable failure modes, it lasts and lasts
and lasts, with no rust!
5. I have plenty of parts and/or contacts for them
(both of high value for any dubber!)
6. It's damned fun to drive.
7. It's old enough to be starting to get unique.
8. It's not jap.
9. Because I just like the hell out of the damned
thing.
10. It's rewarding to be associating with the kind and
quality  of people on this list, and that makes me
want to have and keep one.  Seriously.

My wife and I were talking just last night about my
next car (in a year or two)  - the strategy is that
she gets the minivan, we have a "nice" family
convertible (BMW), and I get to drive whatever I want
as a commuter/toy car.  I was thinking of a Porsche
924 or old Audi GT, but why not hang onto the 'roc?
Couldn't really imagine the other cars would be that
much more overall fun...esp. with the likes of this
list...thanks BTW.

=====
Ron
'87 16V (Victor, the Famous Cheap Scirocco)
'93 Cab (soon for sale)
many, many, miles and busted knuckles on about seven or so past watercooleds...