Re: Updated MFA installation

I really value this info as I have a MFA setup I'll be hooking into my
rocco.

I'd like to suggest that we put this one up for Tech procedure, simply
because of it's unique nature and that few people are doing this.  It's kind
of rare stuff.  I can form it up into a HTML page if desired.  We don't have
pics at this point, though (not that they are necessary).

Gabriel,  thanks so much for your time in putting this info down in writing.
I, for one, will definitely benefit from it.

-PK

> This will apply to Scirocco's 82-88, Jetta's/Golf's/GTi's 85-89. This has
> been updated.
>
> Tools
> -Small blade screwdriver(like the one used for eyeglass repair)
> -Wire cutter
>
> Parts needed
> -MFA Intrument cluster. Can be from any Jetta/GTi/Golf 85-89, Scirocco MK2
> 82-88 with the right tach/speedo combination for the one your replacing,
or
> an upgraded one for the one your replacing (8k/160 to 8k/140, 8k/140 to
> 7k/120).
> -MFA control switch. Preferebly out of a GTi/Golf 85-87, Scirocco 82-88,
so
> the rear wiper contacts are there.(Mine is from an 88-89 And works and
looks
> nice but the top plastic cover has to be either changed for the 88-89 one
or
> the existing one cut cause the turn signal switch will have to be used).
> -MFA control wiring. This is the wiring to wich the MFA switch will be
> conected to. This is the same for all models (Scirocco 82-88,
Golf/GTi/Jetta
> [...]
> little bit and pull off carefully the vaccum hose located on the back of
the
> cluster. Now pull the cluster out.
>
> Scirocco donor car.
>
> 4b.Remove the two screws located on the upper top part of the plastic
cover
> in front of the instrument cluster and remove the plastic cover.
>
> 5b.Disconect the two wire harness connectors (one white, one black) to the
> instrument cluster located in the bottom corners of the cluster. Now
remove
> the speedometer cable, easier if you have removed the bottom dash covers.
> Now remove the screw that holds the cluster in place located in the center
> top of the instrument cluster. Tilt the cluster towards you a little bit
and
> pull off carefully the vaccum hose located on the back of the cluster. Now
> pull the cluster out.
>
> 6.You'll need to remove the relay panel, for this loosen the screw on the
> lower right side of the panel (on some models there might be a plastic
lock.
> Twist this lock 1/4 turn clockwise? then pull it out). Lift the panel and
> then pull it towards you to get it out.
>
> 7.Trace the wires from the connector on the MFA control
> switch(red/white,black/white,brown/white,white) the brown/white cable
should
> connect to a groung connector where there will be another brown cable.
>
> MFA Connector
>    |                    _Brown___________________Instrument panel
>    |                   |
>    |                   |                         harness connector
>    |___________________|red connector_
>      Brown/white                      |
>                                      _|_ brown white
>                                       -
>                                    ground
>
> The connector will be red in color located behind the relay panel. Unplug
> this and then trace back the brown cable to the cluster's harness white
> connector. The connectors in the harness hold the cables using a small
> plastic prong. Using the small screwdriver lift the prong wich holds the
> brown cable and pull the cable out. The cables go as noted by the Bentley
> manual:
>
> White - W
> Black/white - B
> Red/White - R
> Brown - M
>
>            |-------|-------|      |-------|-------|
>
>             White connector        Black connector
>
> It should come off very easy (don't pull to hard on the cable or you might
> break it!). Repeat the procedure for the other 3 wires. Then carefully
> remove the MFA switch plug with the wires as a mini harness cutting out
all
> the straps that hold the wires in place. You'll also need to get 3 more
> wires that connect to the oil temp sender and the outside temp sensor.
These